Thursday, February 28, 2008

inspiration overflow

what a day two posts! lots of inspiration? or lots of work? a little bit of both. anyway i saw this quote from the tao te ching and couldnt help but think.......

"And because he is not competing, no one in the world can compete with him."

I think this is a good line to reflect on amidst the chaos we live in. Often we all succumb to the pressure to compete. Buying a new car that's nicer then a friend. Having a better job. A better degree. A better paper. A nicer wardrobe. But in the the end all of this ends up creating more stress then it is worth. If we enter into the circle of competition we become burdened by it. We realize that although we may out compete some one in some area, we are also being out competeted by some one else in the very same area. This creates an endless loop where are best is not good enough, our things are not nice enough, we are not smart enough, wealthy enough....you name it.

But if we can some how step outside the competition and not compete then whatever we do is enough because we are not competing with anyone nor is anyone competing with us. What might this lead to? I think it could lead to that c word that is rarely mentioned. The c word that I am just as guilty at times of equating with death...Contentment. When was the last time you thought I am content. Often it is I am well, but could be better. The paper is good, but I could do a lot more to it. The car is nice but its not a.... The house its nice but will be nicer when...

I am guilty of this trap far too often. I rarely reflect that you know what things are good and I am content with where they are. How has something so natural become so foreign. Think about it. When was the last time you met some one who said they were content. A life lived nowadays seems to be one that must involve change, competing and constantly seeking better. But where does the line get drawn? When does enough become just that? When does time spent day dreaming in the sun become time lived rather than time wasted? Being content even if for a few brief moments, thats my goal for the week. Not complacent. Content. The distinction is hard and one I struggle with, but content is what I seek.