Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Inspiration

What happens? In between moments of pure exhilaration where the ideas flow faster than I can type and I worry about all of the ideas I am losing as I furiously try to jot them down, to those moments where every last bit of creative inspiration seems to have been mysteriously sucked from my veins. Today is one of those days. In fact it seems it has been a string of those days. My motivation to read. to write. to be inspired. all seem to have gone missing. I would be very worried except this has happened before, but it forces me to wonder where do those thoughts go? Should we seek inspiration within ourselves, searching deep for emotions gone missing? Should we seek inspiration from others, hoping their insights will remind us what lies hidden in ourselves? Should we seek yet another outlet? At times it seems writing makes so much sense to me. I sit down, I create, I feel and at the end of it all I have turned my own life questions and emotions into some sort of piece that others can read. This process, the act of putting my thoughts out there into the world has some sort of therapeutic quality. Putting the words out there finalizes them, secures a place for emotions, where one day I make look back and reunite with past questions/thoughts/feelings. At other times though, writing leaves me frustrated, uninspired and makes me feel worse than when I began. On those days I run. I find running therapeutic because it is one of the most absurd things ever, but also one of the most meaningful. To spend an hour off running, and arrive right back where you started. To run down the same roads you drive or bike but see them in a different light. Running reconnects me to the present, to my breath, to every step....and for me, a person who often spends far too much time in the past or the future those moments of "present" are the very moments I need more of.